25 March 2017, Siniloan, Laguna. 29 FEED Students and Volunteers for the Environment (SAVE) representing different groups from all walks of life, planted 1140 Native Philippine trees last Saturday, as part of their giving back to the environment, carbon footprint offset activity and simply to enjoy nature.
FEED’s partners represented include Mondo Project, i-Volunteer, Peritus Knowledge Services Corporation and several groups of friends who spent from early morning traveling from all parts of Luzon to reach Laguna, with one volunteer coming from Sarangani Province in Mindanao, where she described:
“We are learning the ways of others in our country, so I can bring back some technical knowledge and share it with my Tboli community; and to also be able to share our indigenous farming & forestry knowledge with FEED and friends means much to us too. FEED will soon visit us in Sarangani to experience first hand how we work to preserve a sustainable life, lifestyle and livelihood – as nurturing of the environment is so important to us in our cultural preservation works – we cannot do one without the other. For example, our music and dance are inspired by nature!”
-Lyn Buti Lumbago, Cultural Leader, Tboli
Thanks to our March 25, 2017 SAVE Environmental Warriors!
|Jasmine Cecille Salem||Lyn Buti Lumbago (FEED Guest)|
|Jan Bernard Tan||Christopher Palce|
|Danalynne Dumaliang||Jan Michael Mamites (3 shirts)*|
|Joyce Armillo||Rhina Rivadeniera (2 shirts)*|
|Jennilyn Redublo||April Yukimteng (1 shirt)*|
|Maria Carissa Geronimo||Mai Aclan (32 shirts)*|
|Kevin Magtulis||Lovelle Almazar|
|Miguel Gomez||Aileen dela Rosa|
|Olenny Acebes||Leizl Cantanero|
|Guinanie Marcelo||Jaid Loraine Arcos|
|Janine Tapiador||Carmelito Francisco|
|Marlene Florentino||Devorah Faith T. Padua|
|Charmaine Espinas||Angelica Kristina Monzon|
|Kath Rubio||John Mardy Rongavilla|
|Melissa Eleria||Oineca Love Manuel|
|Aldrin Grasparin||Beatrice T. Arit|
|Joy Las Marias||Nomer Cuartero (FEED SAVE Leader)|
*FEED also wishes to thank its Living Legacy partner, Mondo Project, through its founders Rejina & Bogs Balangat, who produce joint FEED and other Mondo Project t-shirts with environmental messages; which for each shirt sold, a tree is planted. On this day, they enabled the planting of an additional 40 trees.
Mr. Nomer Cuartero, FEED SAVE Leader and staunch advocate of the environment, also a retired and returning Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW), captured the day’s spirit of engagement by documenting the photos and sharing the on social media.
PERITUS KNOWLEDGE SERVICES CORPORATION of the Philippines, a boutique consulting company, also became a FEED Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Patron, enabling the planting of 100 trees.
Thank you all for your support and engagement for the preservation of our environment, we hope you will continue your advocacies always.
SLIDESHOW of Students & Volunteers for the Environment (SAVE), March 25, 2017
1,140 Philippine Indigenous Species Planted, March 25, 2017
The various species planted were based on the forest designs and natural growth as observed and recommended by the College of Forestry & Natural Resources Foresters of the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), one of FEED’s main Living Legacy reforestation, planting, and applied research partners.
Click on the links below to see more about the characteristics of each species:
- Kamuling (Microcos stylocarpa): http://www.tropicaltimber.info/specie/kamuling-microcos-stylocarpa/
- Dangle (Teijsmaniodendron ahernianum): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teijsmanniodendron
- Bakad-pula (Prunus rubigunosa): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_rubiginosa
- Blob (Diplodiscus paniculatus): http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/33344/0 (IUCN Red List)
- Dulitan (Palaquium montanum): https://ceb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaquium_montanum
- Malaikmo (Celtis philippinensis): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_philippensis
- Malaruhat (Syzygium spp.): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium
- Malasantol (Sandoricum vidclii): http://binhi.ph/database/future/tree_facts/result/Sympetalandra+densiflora
- Marang (Litsea glutinosa): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litsea_glutinosa
- Bagtikan (Parashorea malaanonan): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parashorea_malaanonan
- FEED Launches Renewed Logo & Eco-Awareness Campaign with Mondo Project & its Latest FEED Ambassadors
- FEED & Mondo Project Showcase at UP Dilliman’s Junior Marketing Association “Ecoswitch: Bazaar”
© FEED, Inc.